Reasons Behind Land Rover Engine Fuel Leaks from the Best Technicians in San Juan Capistrano
Land Rovers are known to most as one of the highest performing vehicles on the market. You expect to get all that you pay for when you invest that kind of money. Unfortunately, all cars will need maintenance and repairs. One of the most common mechanical issues with Land Rovers is engine fuel leaking prematurely. There have been many recalls on models due to this problem, along with a few others. It would be prudent to take precautions and check your vehicle regularly. Let’s talk about what causes engine fuel leaks in Land Rovers.
Why does engine fuel leak in a Land Rover?
The root cause of your fuel leak can be several problems. Familiarize yourself with some of the reasons below, so you can talk to a technician about your concerns:
- The fuel rail end caps are not sealed. This causes the engine fuel to leak onto the engine bay in many cases, which could possibly result in a fire. This is an incredibly dangerous situation to be in, so if you smell gas fumes, make sure that you go to an auto shop straight away. This defect has led to recalls in these Land Rover models: 2018 Discovery Sport, Range Rover Evoque, and Range Rover Velar.
- A bolt that attaches the high-pressure fuel pump may be too long, resulting in the pump being improperly secured. Your fuel pump delivers your gas to where it needs to go. You can’t drive without it. If you find that your Land Rover will not start, your engine fuel may be leaking. The model affected by this problem most frequently is the 2017 Range Rover.
- Your gas tank may have been punctured or corroded. This is not a highly-reported problem for Land Rovers. It is usually the result of accidents and environmental factors, such as road debris.
Warning Signs of Engine Fuel Leaks
There are some signs that you may notice that will help you diagnose the issue. If your engine fuel is leaking, these things may happen:
- Fuel will puddle underneath the vehicle. When any fluid is dripping from the vehicle, it is not a good sign. Take note that fuel will be yellowish or clear, not red or blue like most coolants. Oil is black and viscous, so you can rule it out as well.
- You will smell gasoline. If you are not at an actual gas station and you smell the strong and distinct odor of fuel, then it may be coming from your Land Rover. There is a small chance that it could be that of another person’s car, so continue to pay attention to the smell while you are driving. If it persists, it is likely that the problem is coming from yours.
- Your gas mileage decreases significantly. You know how long it usually takes for your vehicle to need a refuel. When you notice it happening more often when you drive the same distances, it’s an indicator of leakage.
- You run out of gas while driving. If you are responsible and fill up your tank regularly, this should not be happening to you. Ask yourself when you last refueled your Land Rover. If you find that it was too recent for something like this to occur, your gas is almost definitely leaking.
- The vehicle will not start. This can be due to several other issues, but this in combination with other signs will tell you that a fuel leak could be the root of your problem.
How to Solve the Issue of Engine Fuel Leak
When your fuel is leaking, there is not much that you can do to fix it yourself. Even if you are a qualified mechanic yourself, you are going to need extra help to repair your Land Rover. Since it is a foreign vehicle, you may want to see more trained technicians than the person at your average shop.
Star Motors has some of the best technicians around to help you save time and money before your Land Rover needs costly overhaul repairs. Our employees specialize in repairing foreign/luxury vehicles so you can get back on the road as soon as possible. We have been serving the San Juan Capistrano, CA and other Southern Orange County areas for over 30 years.
If you want quality care that you can trust, come to Star Motors and let us show you what we can do for you.
April 24, 2019